This year marks the 100th anniversary since the end of World War I – along with many other places across the country – Guiseley has a programme of events to commemorate the signing of the armistice on 11 November 1918, when Germany surrendered unconditionally. The events are a chance to reflect, to fulfil the military covenant, and to quietly say thank you to the First WW generation.
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” Continue reading
Lots of art in the Park at the moment; done by the public, as well as nature.
- Painted stones to find – picture Becky James
- Woodland leaf patterns
- Inspirational photography – Liakat Parapia– Hawthorn Leaf (Aireborough Camera Club welcomes new members) and Darren Sanderson– Old Chestnut Tree (runs photography walks).
On 1st December we also have the Advent Tree dressing which this year is run by the Little Friends of Parkinson’s Park. Continue reading
Such a shame to see the damage done by the wind on 13th October to one of the old oaks that defines Clapper Brow. The tree is over 100 years old. Meadfleet have been alerted, and a tree surgeon will arrive to work on it soon.
Comment left on Facebook from David Lawson
“It was nice to meet you today at the apple even, no doubt one of your ‘core’ activities. I loved the piece of cake and then enjoyed the walk back over Yeadon Banks to work off the calories. I hope the event was a success for you.”
We have a new Orchard Tail leaflet to add to our collection of information on Parkinson’s Park. Come and help us identify the trees that have lost their labels.
The new leaflet will be available at Apple Day 2-4pm 21st October (postponed from 14th oct due to bad weather), or there is a downloadable copy here.
Thanks go to Martyn, Josie and Jenny for the research, Lucy Phillips for the Design and Darren Sanderson for the main photography. Plus the Heritage Lottery Fund.
We have now updated the website with:
- all the research we have done on history, geology and ecology.
- downloadable leaflets on the Story Trail, and the I-Spy Trail
- downloadable map of the park
- information on the trees in the community orchard,
- an overview of the current management plan
- CIC annual reports and contacts
- gallery pictures
- you will also find people’s stories of the Park and you are welcome to add your own
- and last but not least a list of our sponsors.